BCQuilter's Weblog

A new venture…

Posted on: 2 February 2008

Well this weekend I wanted to do something a little different.

With inspiration from an APQ blogger – StitchNiche (she makes gorgeous placemat bags), and my YDD – her wallet was too big for her pant’s pocket… I delved into making placemat bags. Not as elegant as StitchNiche’s, but my YDD loves it!

My YDD chose a turquoise placemat. I decided to incorporate a little from the Applique workshop (our local quilters guild held) last week, and use the new “Basting Glue Bottle” I made the other day.

Not knowing what I was doing, and making it up as I went, we came up with a pretty good bag between us. She chose the lining – blue fire (which looks like water in the bag), the straps. She also requested a pocket for her MP3 player.

I stitched the sides of the place mat together, then stitched across the seam 1″ from the bottom of the bag, to square the bottom a bit. I appliquéd the flower, using “glue” (see above link) to fold over the edges, and then used fusible web to appliqué to the bag. It worked very well!

I stitched the lining, using the same technique as the place mat. The lining had a bit more work, to fold over and stitch down the edges. I added two pockets – one for an MP3 player, and another larger one.

Attaching the handles were interesting. I was hoping to use a slider, so she could adjust the handle as she grew, but I miscalculated the sizes… strap is 38.1mm, buckle/slider is 32mm… I thought strap was 31 (grrr.) I used a feature on my machine I didn’t know I had. I have an overlock stitch. I shortened it, and used it to finish the cut edges of the strap as it was unravelling. Worked great! (Better not mention to DH, or I’ll never get a serger!). I folded over the edges, and used the stretch stitch to hold in place. Attached to either end of the bag, centering on the placemat seams. And stitched it down. My poor machine… it didn’t like it too much. (I think next time, my Kenmore will do this task). I added some hook and loop to the lining, so the bag didn’t gape open on her. After adding the inside butterflies (fusible web), I melted the loop part of the hook and loop, had to unsew that piece, and replace it.

Time to attach the lining. This went better than expected, although again the machine didn’t like the extra thickness at the seams. I thought the placemat was easing up with the lining, but not so, but the time I got all the way around, I had about 1/2″ of extra place mat. I just tucked it in, making a little pleat at the edge of the handle/strap, and stitched it down. And without further ado, here are some pictures. If you would like to see a larger image, click on the picture, and it will open in a new window/new tab.

Shauna’s Placemat Bag

Inside Placemat Bag

Inside Placemat Bag

Advertisements

1 Response to "A new venture…"

You did such a great job – Christine would be proud! The lining is amazing fabric, too wild for me but perfect for your daughter.

My Bernina doesn’t like stitching bag handles either but does work better with a size 90/14 needle, although now I can use The Thug – it’s needle size is 120!!

I hope this is the start of more bags to come!

Fer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 96 other followers

Calendar

February 2008
S M T W T F S
« Jan   Mar »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
%d bloggers like this: