Feeling a little star struck…
Posted 8 February 2010on:
It is not very often, that I will make a quilt from a specific pattern, unless I’m taking a class/workshop. I had seen this particular quilt, and was intrigued… I’m going to stop there, because I want to create a very big lead-up. *giggle*
Well, of course I started with the pattern, but not wanting to give that away, lets jump to the fabric selection.
My hubby and I both like the colour blue. When we are away for our Anniversary in November, I decided I was going to buy the fabric for this quilt. This quilt will be for our bed. The first big quilt, that I will actually be keeping.
I ended up getting the fabric from three different shops, which was okay. One fabric (the light blue – Fusions by Robert Kaufman), I actually ordered an entire bolt, as one shop didn’t have enough yardage I required. The dark blue (Dimples by Gail Kessler for Andover Fabrics) I picked up from two different shops. The white (Cambridge Square #2192 by Ro Gregg for Northcott) I fell in love with the pattern. I think (I hope) I bought more than I need, so I can use it for some Christmas projects.
So with all this fabric, today I started cutting the strips. At first I contemplated how to use the fabrics, and then decided the colour layout. I don’t like doing all the cutting, then all the piecing, although the directions are written in that way. I like to cut some, stitch some, press some, and repeat. It’s a good thing I follow this, as I found out I was using the wrong instructions, and cut 3 or 4 strips at 4½”, when it should have been 6″. Not a complete loss, I cut the 4½” into 2 – 2″ strips… which I also need! I lost 1/2″ but that’s okay… with the string quilt I’m working on, I can add some of this fabric into it as well!
And I noticed, that following the correct instructions… I may have waaaaaaaaaaay more fabric than what I need for this project. Yeah! Some more for the stash!
After cutting the strips, and stitching them together, it was time to cut them using the specialty ruler that came with the book. Phew… I’m able to get the required 8 componets from each stitched strip!
Then it was time to piece the sections together, and wow, oh wow… I really like how this is coming together.
This will be my first monochromatic quilt.
Now that all that has been said, and done, the quilt comes from Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Series – Day & Night. I”m not sure if it was the star design, or the black, white and red, but what ever it was, this quilt caught my attention and held on to it. Be sure to visit Quilt In A day website, and read how they describe this quilt.
As for the string quilt, it is coming along. I was working on it, getting more blocks completed, and realized I was not feeling the fabric therapy that working on quilts usually gives me. I’ve decided I’m going to work on the quilt when I need something to fill in gaps. The double diagonal pattern I chose does not lend itself to using the blocks as leader/enders. Check out Bonnie’s website. She has a great method for using up scraps, and some interesting information on String quilts too!