The block I want to make, and a few quilt variations.
Posted 30 August 2011on:
I was visiting Bonnie K. Hunter’s blog, checking her posts, and someone had sent her a request on a particular block. I decided I would thumb through my book of 5500 Quilt Blocks from Maggie Mahone, (if you visit the link, scroll down the page, you will see some of the actual pages from the book) when I discovered a few gems. I should note, that every once in awhile, I look for something in the book, and see something that intrigues me. If only I had really gotten into quilting 40 years ago, maybe I could make all the quilts I want to. Um… wait a moment, it was about 38 years ago, I started my first patchwork quilt… which still remains unfinished! Ohh… back on subject.
Well the block that really caught my eye today, is called 3D nine patch. Now the thing with the book, is it gives you the name of the block, and shows you an image, but that is all you get. The block has three 9-patch units with sashing, on point.
I decided I would draft out this block on 1/4″ graph paper. It was going well, until I brought the wrong ruler (metric), which makes using accurate measurements a bit difficult. It looked okay, but I knew that if I was to use the measurements from what I had drawn out, the block would not be very accurate. DS#2, suggested I draw the 9patch units “square” to the paper, and then draw the setting triangles after.
Seemed like a reasonable plan. I had an idea that the 9patch pieces would finish at 1″. So I drew them at 1/2 scale into a 4″ block…. or so I thought. Yes, the 9-patch units are 3″ finished… but… the block is now 4¼” instead of 4″. Hmmm.
Next, I took two pieces of graph paper, laid them side by side, to make a larger piece. If I was going to draw out an 8″ block, and draw the 9-patches first, I was going to need a much bigger piece of paper.
Off I started drawing again. And it is looking pretty good. Measured the block… 8½”… hmmm. Apparently going to the size I want, is still not going to work. One of things I forgot was that when things are on-point, their “dimensions” change, they are not the same size you expect. A 1″ square is not 1″ across when you put it on its point. n (LOL I just checked… and it is 1 3/8″). I looked at the block I had drawn out… how am I going to get it to be a finished 8″. I wonder if EQ6 might be able to handle the job. I draft out a number of my quilts, primarily for yardage estimates, but occasionally, I will alter blocks, or create one if I can’t find what I’m looking for.
It took me a bit, to figure out how I was going to divide a 2″ space into 3 equal parts. Drawing it wasn’t working, how do you measure 0.6667″. I could guestimate, but it still wouldn’t be accurate enough. I found I could change the “snap points” in EQ6, which means I could divide a 2″ space into 6 parts. Woohoo!
I thought this block would be a good one to do scrappy, although the background and sashings would have to be purchased.
I then used EQ6 to play with layouts
as I was altering the quilt to be a bit more scrappy for the dark units, I discovered that the block if rotated a bit more, looks like a heart!
I am considering using Bonnie’s Leader and Ender method to create the 9patches, sewing them in strips, then cross-cutting to get the patches. This would be a project that would fill in while working in other projects, that are less scrappy. I think I just convinced myself this quilt is going to be started sooner than I anticipated. What better way to get it going than using the Leader and Ender method. And my scraps could always use a good clearing out! I think they multiply when I’m not in the quilt-n room. I guess I will need to start going through, and then cutting strips of 1½”! These quilts are “small”, if the blocks are 8″, but I’m sure with the Leader and Ender method, I could have lots of 9patch units to create a much larger quilt, and use up more of the scraps!