BCQuilter's Weblog

Archive for June 2012

Hello!

I have a request of all my APQ blogging buddies.  Do you recall in 2007/2008 I was doing a block of the month – where I posted a block a weeek, and you were able to select one block, and after 6 months we were going to create a sampler quilt… then of course that fizzled and APQ shut down the blogs.

Well, I had thought I had “downloaded” and saved all my entires to the APQ Blog.  But apparently I didn’t, or lost them, or something.

I am looking for the instuctions for the first six blocks:

Week #1 – Light and Shadows

Week #2 – Star and Pinwheel

Week #3 – Cats and Mice

Week #4 – Crossroads

Week #5 – Bear’s Paw

Week #6 – Leavenworth 9 Patch

Week #7 – Card Trick

I have the pics, but not the instructions  I wrote up.  If you have them, could you email them to me to southeasterly at hotmail dot com.  Thanks.

After looking through these, I’m tempted to start up another block of the month thing.  (or a block whenever challenge).  I think I would also create them using the computer showing different colour ways and how different values will change the block.   Many things to consider.

-Alice

I have added a new page to my Quilting Information section. 

I watched a demonstration of making a pillow case from a quilting group buddy, and am very much wanting to make some.  We have several size pillows in our house, and I wanted a page where I could easily find the information.  Soon, I hope to have a tutorial on making a pillow case.

-Alice

Just like a snowball rolling down a hill, this quilt got bigger and bigger.

You may reading the adventures of the snowball quilt.  At that time, I was trying to decide on border options.  As per usual, a different idea developed on its own.

With a snowball block, you end up with half square triangle bits left over.  Instead of having to deal with these triangles, I decided at the time of making the snowball blocks to stitch to seam lines, and save the remaining pieces for something.

That something developed into an idea for a border.  I have always wanted to do a pieced border, and this seemed as good an opportunity as any.

I have the top completely done.  I stitched the HSTs into pairs, and then stitched the pairs into long strips.  I had no idea how long I needed them, so I just stitched until it seemed right, and I had four borders ready.

For the two dark red borders, I cut strips 2′, and strip pieced them together.  I had three different dark red fabrics, and randomly stitched the strips together.  Some were 4, 5 or 6 strips wide.  I then sub-cut these to 2″.  And randomly grabbed from different piles and stiched them together.  I continued stitching them until I had four borders.  Oh oh… I forgot I wanted a second border, so more stitching went on.

I then measured the quilt and found my first border length.  Cut, pinned, stiched, and did the same with the other borders.  One thing I realized when I was partially through the first borders, that I would have cut them to fit differently.  Of course when you are working with 1½” finished pieces, they do not adjust very well to the size of my quilt.  (This is one of those ideas, that squaring up the blocks as you go, would have been a very good idea – one I didn’t follow).  I trimmed the last unit of the strips to fit.  Next time, I think I would like to measure from the center of each border, to the end, and cut off each end to fit the size I needed.  This quilt was a learning experience!  What better way to experiment, than with scraps!

In my mind, I think if I had measured from the center point, then all the seams for the three borders would have lined up.  As it is, one half of each border lines up, the other half does not.  But shhh… if no one looks really close, maybe they won’t notice.  🙂

It was a nice day outside, so I hung the quilt top on the line, and took a photo.  The sun is kind of shining behind it, giving it some interesting shadows.  The next step is to get this quilt, sandwiched, quilted and finished.

I don’t quite have enough energy to get that far, yet.

The fabrics for this quilt came from my stash, and my scraps.  Some of the pieces, are from cotton shirts I purhcased at the local thrift store, and cut up.  I wanted to make a quilt with a more masculine feel to it, and one way of doing that, was by buying the shirts!  Insted of just using blues, browns, greens.  Why are those colours more often used to represent male?

I am happy that this one is done.  I think I started it three years ago (practically to the month!).  I started making the snowballs as a leader/ender and then earlier this year, I thought enough was enough, it was time to get it finished.

-Alice

Food for thought:   Have you ever “shopped” your stash to make  a quilt?  Do you have bits and pieces of fabric left over from projects, and they are odd shaped and sizes?  Take 15-20 minutes and start cutting them into useable pieces.  You don’t have to do it for long, and you’ll be surprised how quickly those messy scraps can be made.   You can even make a “free” quilt by using up your scraps.  Don’t put a time frame on it.  Just take a light and a dark piece, stitch them together, each time you are working on a quilt, at the begining and end of each strip you piece.  Once they are stitched, press, and place in a bin.  Before long you will have enough pieces for a 4-patch, 9-patch or any other block you desire.  For more great scrap busting ideas, be sure to check out Bonnie K. Hunter’s blog and website.

 

 


Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 96 other followers

Calendar

June 2012
S M T W T F S
« Mar   Jul »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930